NUO Challenge Ornament #17 Stash Cans

This was a last minute, ornament replacement, and like always it turned out much better than my original plan.  See, my goal was to make paper nests by winding scraps of newspaper and gluing along the way. Unfortunately I over-estimated my children’s coordination and at 3 p.m. this afternoon had NOTHING to show for it! I didn’t even have a good mess-up.  Just a couple kids with glue and newsprint all over their fingers. 
Coffee to the rescue.  Here’s my confession, I’ve got an addiction to Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk…in my coffee.  It’s not something I’m proud of and yes I have read how many calories are in just ONE tablespoon of that wonderful concoction (for the record I delude myself by buying the fat free version.)  Anyway, I’m left with a bunch of cute little cans that I’ve been wanting to turn into little stash cans!  Thankfully the kids were able to get these made in no time!
  • Any cans as long as they don’t have sharp edges, remember this is a kid friendly craft
  • vintage book pages or scrapbook pages, whatever you want
  • Mod Podge
  • wire, floral wire would actually work on this one
  • wire cutters
  • hot glue
  • mini garland
  • glitter glue (see that kind above, it’s a buck at the Dollar Tree!)

Do I really need to explain this?  Okay, just in case.  I started off by shaping the wire around the top of the cans, forming a handle and then I just slid them off so the kids could glue the pages and images onto the outside of the cans.

Now was when we got busy with Mod Podge!  First we applied our vintage book pages; let it dry.  Next we applied our special graphics from the Graphics Fairy, of course!  After that dried we applied our final sealing coat of Mod Podge.  When it dried my 14 year old said, “Wow, you can really see a difference.”  Yup, sure can.

012 016 017   

Once everything was dried I slid the handles back onto the cans and then hot glued garland around the top, all while cooking dinner and getting ready to head out for theatre practice.  While I was gone, Nate helped the two little ones add some glitter glue embellishments, unfortunately they laid it on pretty thick and it slid off before it dried. 

Not bad, I think I need to drink more coffee!  Oh, for the record the bigger can is from a cocoa mix!

For more on the inspiration behind this Challenge click here.

Follow this link and check out my Linky Parties page for a listing of parties I participate in.


Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, it really means a lot to me!

Popular Posts