I have been slowly working on a gallery wall for our home. I don’t intend for it to contain many photos but I’d like those that are included to stand out! The quickest and easiest way to do that is to pair them with a bright, colorful photo mat.
In addition to adding that something special to family photos these mats are made with recycled materials, always a plus in my book! Read more about how I made them below.
- Beginning by measuring and cutting old pizza or cereal boxes into 8”x10” rectangles. The following measurements will work for a 5”x7” photo or picture.
- Measure and mark lines 1 1/2” from top and bottom. Measure and mark lines 2 1/2” from both sides. Cut out the inner rectangle you have created.
- Apply glue to the cardboard frame and adhere it to the back of the decorative paper you’ll be using.
- Trim the paper until it is 1/2” from the edges of the cardboard frame.
- Cut your corners (see photo below for details.)
- Use a bone folder to tightly wrap paper around cardboard.
- Glue the paper folds onto the cardboard.
Aren’t these cute and so colorful, I think what I like the most about them is that we’ll be able to switch them out depending on the season or holiday!