Lately we've had rainy days but when the heat was unbearable the kids and I had fun coming up with different frozen treats. We all love kiwis but I'd never mixed them into a smoothie or even pureed them, so we were excited to see how they'd taste. Who knew both my daughter and I would have an allergic reaction!
A couple months ago we shared about our Fresh Fruit Smoothie Pops, and the kids loved them so much we decided to try a new recipe, these Strawberry Kiwi Pops.
It started out pretty normal we pureed about 2 cups of kiwis with a couple tablespoons of sugar and put them in the bottle of our paper cups.
From there we added a couple spoonfuls of vanilla Greek yogurt as our second layer, and a batch of pureed strawberries with a couple tablespoons of sugar for the third.We also used the same food picks (bigger toothpicks) as we did with the smoothie pops and froze them overnight.
The next afternoon we took our pops outside for snack time and within minutes my tongue started to tingle. I thought, "Kiwis have seeds, they're rough, surely that's all it is." Then my daughter started complain that her mouth was burning and my lips started to feel like they were turning into giant blisters.
Obviously, we stopped eating them and I instantly looked it up. Turns out having an allergic reaction to kiwis isn't that uncommon. Who knew? According to the boys, the pops were good but now that I know about kiwi allergies,I'm afraid to make them again.