The idea of using Sharpies to tie dye seemed brilliant and the pictures on Pinterest were just spectacular. I’d been wanting to make derby shirts for the kids anyway so why not turn it into an afternoon Art project. I followed a few different sets of directions but here’s the gist of it.
I colored my design on a cotton onesie.
I used an eye dropper to drip rubbing alcohol onto it. The color bled…faintly.
I let the design dry completely (p.s. if you try it don’t put it in the dryer unless you want to chance setting a fire).
I ironed it to set in the stain.
I washed and dried it like I normally would and this is what I ended up with.
Yeah, I was utterly disappointed and glad I hadn’t let the kids do their shirts until I tested the technique. Maybe I didn’t color it in enough but I really doubt it would have make a difference. Besides the black ink you can barely see the ‘tie dye’ effect, instead it looks like I took markers to the shirt unaware the colors would spread and fade ultimately make this look like a dirty shirt, not an Art project. Even this poor baby knows this was definitely a fail!
P.S. If you’re wondering what happened to little Desmond’s face, he is wearing my Bad Mom of the Month Award…a sunburn.