I’m normally the type of person who thrives under pressure. I love having a million things on my to-do list, it gets me going. Right now, I only have about 999,999 boxes to check off so I haven’t quite reached that magic motivational moment. Instead I’m slacking, bumming, watching too much Bones, Castle, NCIS, and Mentalist, and playing many board games with the kids. Alas, deadlines are fast approaching ( Um, aren't I supposed to be planning a ROYO for this year’s BlogHer?) and I’ve come to the realization that I MUST get motivated. Here are 5 quick tips to motivate. They’re not scientifically proven but hey, they got me to get moving (a little bit) this week!
1. What Would Martha Do? I realize it’s probably horrible to compare yourself to others but…it works. Pick a person, any person, and think to yourself, “Would ______ still be bra-less at 9 o’clock in the morning.”
2. Play Pretend. I do believe the quickest thing to shake off a bad mood is a smile, even if you’re faking it. So look at your to-do list, pick something, and then pretend that wild horses couldn't drag you from getting it done. I can’t wait to tackle that giant pile of laundry!
3. Just Give Up. When you’re not checking into an office and the only person you answer to (most days) is yourself it’s hard to not just give up. So do it…give up. Or see #2 and pretend to give up, how do you feel? Do you feel like a two-pack a day smoker going cold turkey? Well remember, you don’t have to give up but if you don’t that means you need to get off the couch and DO SOMETHING ALREADY!
4. MOVE. Sometimes it really is all you need. Get your body moving. Weeding works wonders for me.
5. Think of Your End Goal. Let’s face it, we’re not idiots but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to look at the bottom line. The garden won’t grow if you don’t plant it, the yarn will not crochet itself, and you’ll never write a book if you put off writing a 400 word blog post.